Friday, July 1, 2016



Lisa Brown

Sarah started school today,
Upon returning she had to say.
Mommy I made a friend you see,
She’s as nice as nice can be.
Her name is Lisa, Lisa Brown,
She rides the bus from way across town.

Mommy Lisa didn’t wear a coat,
Or have a scarf around her throat.
She lost her mittens long ago,
While playing out in the winter snow.
Her dress was torn and dirty too,
with knots in the laces of her raggedy shoes.

Mommy Lisa didn’t bring a lunch,
So we shared my fruit cup and my punch.
And half my sandwich went to Lisa
Tomorrow I’ll give her a slice of pizza.
She seems so hungry and oh so sad,
She must have done something very bad.
 
Oh Sarah dear come sit with me,
And when I explain you’ll surely see.
Lisa’s dad is lost in drugs,
So all his family are surely thugs.
He failed a test to get some aid,
So none will come, the State forbade.

Sarah frowned, didn’t understand,
How politics can scorch the land.
Or why the rich disdain the poor,
Us vs them like never before.
America once the land of dreams,
Only for the rich, or so it seems.

--Ken Ferguson--
Artista

No comments: