Friday, March 5, 2010

Man!!! What a busy week. I went in to El Monte on Monday to fill out some paperwork and was told I was hired pending the results of my background. So I worked two hours on Monday.

My first full day of work was Tuesday (8 hrs). I work closely with a real nice young lady named Carmella, whose main job is the property room. I spent the bulk of the day cleaning up my office and throwing away a lot of stuff. My office was once the home to four ID Techs, so there are four desks in it. One of the first things I did was to take that old white computer monitor off my desk and replace it with that nice newer black one. Priorities you know!!!

I had planned on taking Wednesday off, but there is a lot to do and I worked all day (8 hrs)Wednesday. I also began to tackle the backlog of work because of my predecessor leaving the first week of January for greener pastures.

Wednesday I also started cleaning up the lab. I had to have an electrician come in and fix a light fixture on the ceiling of what had once been a photography dark room. (the door to the right of this photo) I moved some things around and found an industrial sized trash can for the lab. The whole south wall of the room is huge windows that look out into the yard between buildings. Those windows let in a huge amount of light and I really like that aspect. The computer set up to the left is the LAFIS work station where fingerprints are searched thru the state data base.

The lab is quite modern and has a large fuming hood and a fingerprint station. I worked another 8 hrs. on Thursday, but spent the bulk of the day doing my new employee orientation and background paperwork.

Everybody that I've met is real nice. I work under the detective bureau sergeant. Everyone has been real supportive and are willing to get me anything I need. (Better take advantage of this huh??)

Next week I plan to start to tackle the backlog of physical evidence waiting to be processed. So right now the lab is nice and clean. I plan on working Mon - Tues - Thurs, 8 hrs a day.

No comments: