Saturday, December 31, 2011

Its New Year's Eve and a beautiful day for a bike ride. The temps were in the low 80's with blue skies and a few wispy clouds. Parked at Fairmont Park in Riverside and off I went.


Luckily it was also a nice day for a walk because about 4.8 miles from my car I broke a piece off my bike.  I was on a dirt road doing a little exploring off the main bike path when everything jammed up. Looked down and the piece that the chain serpentines thru was hanging in the wheel.  That's not good.


It could have been a lot worse.  I could have been further from my car.  The weather could have been lousy.  The bike could have been so broke the back wheel wouldn't turn and I would have had to carry the sucker back.  Or I could have been thrown from the bike and broken a bone. 


As it was, it was only my spirit that was broken.  I walked back the 4.8 miles to my car pushing my bike and coasting on the down hills.  Several riders offered help, but, as I told one guy, I was was way broke. 

So I guess I'll be making a trip to the bike shop next week.  My bike will be four years old this February.  

No comments: