Friday, November 30, 2012

 
My boys would add, "ya we know, 5 miles, up hill both ways, in the snow, temps below zero." 
 
Truth be known, I did walk to elementary school in the snow with temps below zero, sometimes 40 below zero, but it was only about 6 blocks.  I lived in the Northern Minnesota town of Virginia, which is about 100 miles from the Canadian border.  I would wear long underwear, pants, snow pants and a parka, with a scarf over my face, and rubber boots over my shoes.  The moisture from my breath would freeze on the scarf. When we got to school we would hang all those clothes in the cloak room and it would smell in there from all the wet wool clothing.  Then we would get dressed again and walk home for lunch, returning to school an hour or so later. 
 
I was used to the cold then, and of course a kid.  I ice skated and built snow forts. The two lakes in town would freeze solid and we would skate and play hockey.  There was a little shack with a stove on the ice where we could go in and warm up.  Got hit square in the mouth with a hockey puck once. Fisherman would drive their trucks out on the lake with little structors and ice fish. 
 
Today I'm cold on my bike when it gets below 70 degrees. 

No comments: