Sunday, October 25, 2015

As soon as I saw this picture, I knew I had to write something to honor those who served in my generation.  I have to admit the last two lines make me cry every time I read them. 




Vietnam Wall of Honor

Their lives were all cut tragically short, by a bullet or a bomb,
Oh so many many years ago, in a place called Vietnam.
A hot and nasty jungle war, many sent against their will,
“One year and a wake up” was a draftee’s bill to fill.

The battle plan was simple; to fight back the great red scare,
The commies will be at our door, if we don’t stop them there.
Scorch the earth, destroy that village, don’t leave anyone alive,
Bomb the place to kingdom come so America can survive.

Many would have been teachers, doctors and lawyers too,
Each one had the spark of life, with dreams like me and you.
But when a bullet found its mark, their lives brought to an end,
Sent home in a plain pine box, only families will attend.

Some came home in pieces, others looked quite unscathed,
Suffering from the horrors of war, their psyche can’t be saved.
Today Vets lead a shallow life; their spark seems to be dimmed,
Part of them left far behind in a jungle damp and grim.

The Vietnam Wall stands tall today, a dark and silent reminder,
To honor those brave men and women who died in that meat grinder.
Leaning against the wall in tears, where his buddy’s names engraved,
A Vet whispers quietly, “Miss ya man.”  A warrior’s love displayed.
--Ken Ferguson--

No comments: