Friday, January 22, 2010

San Diego Mayor Jerry Sanders testified in the Supreme Court case, Perry v. Schwarzenegger this week. Mayor Sanders is in his second term as mayor of San Diego after a 29 year law enforcement career which culminated in being the chief of police for San Diego for six years.

Mayor Sanders said, "I was proud to testify this week in what I believe will soon be seen as one of the defining civil rights cases of our time, Perry v. Schwarzenegger. I did so as a Republican mayor, a father, and a former police chief with over 26 years of experience on the force. But I also testified as an American who has seen the effects of discrimination - and who believes that discrimination against anyone, anywhere, is unacceptable."

Mayor Sanders added, "My eyes were opened in 2007, when I had to decide whether to support a ban on same-sex marriage in my capacity as mayor of San Diego. Through conversations with friends and supporters, I realized that my position was inconsistent with one of my core principles as a police officer and as mayor, which is that every community deserves to be treated with equal dignity and respect."

Change is coming. It's only a matter of time.

No comments: