Monday, February 15, 2010

Jack and I rode from Anaheim Stadium to the Huntington Beach Pier on Sunday. The ride is 17 miles one way. It was a beautiful day, with clear skies, temps in the high 70's, and just a little bit of a breeze.

My mountain bike and I have racked up about 2,000 miles together. I just had a service done on it and they replaced the chain and a spoke in the rear wheel, and did some tweaking and tightening. It works a lot better.

Jack's bike is a road bike and built for speed. As you can see, he is much more appropriately dressed than I. My average speed when I ride is 13 mph. Jack doesn't even break a sweat at 13 mph.

The beach was quite crowded. We had to weave in and out of walkers, bicyclists, roller bladers and the like to get to the pier. We spent about 45 minutes at the pier and had a quick lunch.

We had a minor oops when Jack had a flat tire about 3 miles from the finish. We were back on the road in no time after Jack replaced his tube.

The ride runs along the Santa Ana River to the ocean. In this area, the river runs through a golf course and is usually only a couple of feet across. You can see the large amount of water running from Prado Dam to the sea.
All in all, it was a great ride. Great weather and great company.

1 comment:

Kathy said...

OMG! There's actually water in that river! How strange is that?