Saturday, February 13, 2010

Meandering thoughts from a way to busy mind -

This morning it feels like Sunday. Karen was off work yesterday for the Lincoln's Birthday holiday. So for various reasons there is no pro football on today. Bummer!!

I had a dream last night where I was involved in a police shooting. The shooting took place in a strip mall in Covina called Shoppers Lane. I found a burglary in progress and shot the woman as she came out of the store. Then I set up the crime scene. I hadn't had a shooting dream in quite awhile.

Yesterday my son Brian and his wife Selina hid in a university office for over 45 minutes while a crazed shooter wondered the university campus. Yes, Brian and Selina were on campus when a distraught professor, Amy Bishop, opened fire at a biology department faculty meeting killing three professors and wounding three other employees at the University of Alabama at Huntsville. (UAH) Selina is a student at UAH and had one of the deceased as a professor and another as an advisor. The female professor was taken into custody without incident. The professor was apparently upset because she wasn't granted tenure.

While on the freeway the other day on the way to the gym in Riverside, "Satisfaction" by the "Rolling Stones" came on the radio. Without really thinking, I reached over and cranked up the volume. It made me wonder, how many of us have certain songs that just have to be heard at a higher volume than others. "Benny and the Jets" by "Elton John" comes to mind.

From the "what have you done for me lately" files, I find it ironic that those who live in the recent burn areas couldn't thank the firemen enough for saving their homes. I remember seeing signs posted saying "we love the firemen." Now that the rains have come and the mud is flowing, some of those same home owners are pointing the finger of blame at the firemen for not fighting the fires correctly. I heard one guy on the nightly news say, "well the firemen let the fire burn right up to the houses." Jeez!!!

Went for a bike ride Friday. Rode along the Santa Ana River from Norco N/E toward San Bernardino. The bike path was mostly clear of mud, but the river was much bigger. You could see signs where the river had been quite full from the recent rains.

The hills were really green. It was a bit chilly, mid 60's you know. I'm glad I chose to wear my light jacket. Coming back, riding into a steady cool headwind, was a bit brisk. And no, I didn't see any snakes!!!

Former President Bill Clinton had chest pains recently. During a scheduled appointment with his cardiologist last week a blockage was found. President Clinton went to the New York Presbyterian Hospital and bodda bing, bodda bang, two stints were inserted into the clogged artery and he's out and about in a couple of days. Aren't we blessed to have such wonderful health care available to us. To bad the "we" in the last sentence isn't all inclusive in this country.

No comments: