Friday, July 16, 2010

My usual bike ride on Sundays has become a ride from Anaheim Stadium to the Huntington Beach Pier and back. The ride is 34 miles round trip. I thought I would provide you with some of the sights along the way.

This is of course the "Big A" in the stadium parking lot. This morning is the Sunday before the All Star game being held at Anaheim Stadium this coming Tuesday. I found that a 5K walk/run is being held here this morning and there are lots of people in the area who have just finished.

This is where you enter the bike trail from the stadium parking lot. The white line you see painted across the bike path has 12.5 below it to signify 12.5 miles to the beach. The bike path runs along the Santa Ana river, which as you can see is dry now.

This brightly painted mural is under the first bridge you pass under after entering the bike path from the stadium.

Up ahead is the first bridge you encounter at what I call "ten-mile park." There is a small park with bathrooms (important!!) at about the 10 mile mark just before this bridge. I cross over the riverbed twice on my trek to the beach.

This is what most of the underpasses look like. I like to get going pretty fast down the hill so that the climb up the other side isn't too painful. I sometimes can reach 18-20 mph going down the hill. There are transients living under several of the underpasses, but they don't seem to bother anyone.

These three soccer fields are always busy and mark the half-way point down to the pier. Last Sunday they were empty on my way back because of the World Cup Soccer final match was being played.

There are lots of businesses along both sides of the river. I have dubbed this the "rust yard." I'm not sure what exactly they do there, but lots of the stuff on those racks is quite rusted.

This is the underpass for the 22 freeway. On the other side of this tunnel is another small park (shown below) that riders like to stop at. No bathrooms though.

Those big poles hold power lines which you ride under for about a half a mile.

Up ahead is the second bridge. This bridge is about 2.5 miles from the ocean.

This is a close-up of the bridge. As you can see its made of wood. Earlier this year someone came out and tightened or replaced several of the slats along the riding surface.

This is the end of the bike path along the riverbed. That white line is marked "0.0." You can look under the bridge and just see the waves breaking onto the shore. After you go under this underpass, you can turn south and go to Newport Beach, or turn north and go to Huntington Beach.

This is the first set of bathrooms you encounter after turning north towards the Huntington Beach Pier. There are always lots of riders there. Some riders only ride this far and then after a brief rest, turn back north. Many of these riders have entered the bike path much further north than Anaheim Stadium.

The next 3.5 miles or so are along the boardwalk along the beach. It involves dodging other bike riders, walkers, joggers, skaters, and skate boarders. One of the biggest hazards are people and especially children darting across the boardwalk from the parking lots to the sand.

As you can see, it can get quite congested along the boardwalk the closer you get to the pier. This photo was taken a couple of weeks ago when they were having a pro beach volleyball tournament there.

This is my turn around point. Zachs. I usually get a hot dog or a breakfast burrito and sit there for awhile and enjoy the food and the sights.

So, that's my Sunday ride. I usually start out from the stadium around 8:30 in the morning. I may have to start a little earlier with the heat coming on. It takes about 1.5 hours to get down to Zachs. After an hour or so at Zachs I head back. Usually there is a nice tail wind going back so that makes it a little quicker going back. Once in awhile I will ride north of the stadium a couple of miles and back to make the ride a nice even 40 miles. Anyone who wants to come along is welcome. I average a whopping 10-12 mph so its not a speed ride by any means.

I hope you enjoyed the ride!!

No comments: