Saturday, July 31, 2010

So despite a faulty hot water heater, and a trip to the Kaiser ER, I have managed to start my road trip to Bellingham, Washington. I was out of the house by 8:15 am and on my way after a quick stop for gas and some cash at the local ATM.

I am using Corey's Tom Tom for navigation, as my beloved Gretchen was stolen, and it's as grumpy as Gretchen was when you don't do as she tells you too. I programed into the Tom Tom the address of my Motel 6 in Sacramento and of course it wanted me to go west on the 60 freeway, eventually hitting the 5 freeway north bound. I don't like to go thru all that traffic, especially in the morning, so I head out up the 15 freeway and across the 58 to Bakersfield. The Tom Tom whined all the way to the 395 and Bear Mountain Rd. before it decided to re-configure it's route. It would even tell me "turn around when safe."

My first stop was at the Motel 6 in Sacramento. This a photo of the pool, which doesn't really do it justice, as the water was the color of split pea soup. I'd never seen such a small pool at a motel before.

The notice on the pool gate from the health department closing the pool explained it all!! Needless to say, I didn't swim in the pool that evening. The room was clean and didn't smell of industrial disinfectant, so it served it's purpose.

Upon arriving, I took a short nap and then went foraging for food. I've spent enough time in Sacramento to know where the Arden Mall is, so I headed there. I found a Panda Express and enjoyed a bowl of noodles and terriaki chicken. The Barnes and Noble there was disappointing in that it only had two chairs to sit in and use their wireless Internet, and both were in use.

So I headed back to the room, stopping at Mcee Dees for a chocolate malt, and bought a $2.99 wireless card from Motel 6. I know what a party animal!!

Friday morning I was up and out of the room by 8:00 and after a quick stop at Mcee Dees for hotcakes and sausages and gas was back on the road.

The drive up interstate 5 was pretty much uneventful. I saw this old restored car heading up the road with about 4 or 5 others. I can always tell when I'm out of California because you see semis hauling doubles and triples.

I arrived at Cottage Grove, Oregon at about 5:15 pm, and was greeted by my niece Courtney. (shown below) We went out to dinner at a nice Mexican restaurant and Courtney had a cheeseburger!!!

Shannon was nice enough to give up her bedroom to me for two nights. I had to sleep with 1,000 horses staring at me all night!!! Creepy!!

This morning I shared some "quiet time" with my brother-in-law Steve before the rest of the family gets up. I think we are going to go out and clean horse stalls later today. More later.

No comments: