Sunday, November 28, 2010

I went for a couple of bike rides over the Thanksgiving weekend. Josh had to work so we didn't eat Thanksgiving dinner until 6:30 pm. The wind howled most of the day and finally stopped about 3:30 pm. So I headed out a little after 4:00 pm for a short ride in and around my neighborhood. This photo is looking north up Haven Ave from Creekside Dr. at the local mountains. There is a little bit of snow up there from a recent storm.

I forgot that it gets dark earlier and as you can see from the photo above, it was already getting dark after only one mile into the ride. The weather was clear and cool, maybe 60 degrees, and the sunset was spectacular. I rode about 12 miles and ended up riding along the dirt roads in the dark. Makes it much more exciting!!!

Saturday I rode from the park at the 91 & Imperial Hwy. to Huntington Beach. The ride was 25 miles in all. Karen dropped me off at the park and then drove to the beach and walked along the boardwalk until I arrived 2.5 hours later. Lots of birds in the river at this time of the year.

The weather was cool and partly cloudy. It got much cooler when the sun went behind the clouds. I realized as soon as I rode up onto the bike trail that there was a serious headwind. This is the bridge across the riverbed at the 2.5 mile mark.

About a mile south of this bridge the bike trail was closed and I had to cross back over the riverbed to continue south.

All in all, the ride was quite a fight against a cold headwind. I'm going to have to invest in a long sleeve bicycle shirt for the winter. I was a little short winded at the start but didn't seem to have much trouble as the ride continued. Perhaps my short windedness is all anxiety?? At least it's not my heart.

No comments: