Monday, February 7, 2011

Dear Dad,

I had a real nice time visiting with Suzy and Kathy last weekend. We laughed and told jokes, many at your expense I'm afraid. Yes, there may even have been a nose joke or two. I'm sure that's not any surprise to you. We also told stories of our childhood. Stories like how Mom used to rip your T-shirts off of you when they would develop a hole, or all the trips you used to make to get Mom ice cream.

I especially remember the time I got to go to work with you when you worked on that ice cream truck over the summer in Virginia. How I got to sit up in the front seat of that big truck with you and make deliveries, or the time you had to come to the police station and get me after I was picked up for shoplifting candy from Cornets.

I'm sorry I wasn't able to get there before you left on your journey. None of us really knows for sure where your journey will take you, or if you will ever be back. I truly hope it's a restful journey. You earned it, losing both parents young, living in the depression, fighting in WWII, working your way thru college with a wife and two kids, raising five kids, a wife who battled various forms of mental illness. On and on the list goes.

But Dad know that I will always carry you in my heart and remember you as a loving father and the positive influence you were on me and so many others in your life.

Restful journey Dad. Restful journey.

Love always,
Kenny

No comments: