Thursday, February 2, 2012

Suzie & Dad

Today is the one-year anniversary of the death of my Dad.  He was 89 years young when he died. My older sister, Nancy, wrote this poem about my Dad many years ago and it seems fitting to repeat here today.

My Dad

When we were all just tiny tots,
there's five of us you know.
My Dad would act so silly then,
he'd put on quite a show.

My favorite was at lunchtime when,
we'd all come home from school.
Daddy was a teacher so,
he'd join us as a rule.

Mom would start the Cambells soup,
and spread the butter thin.
Dad would send us to the sink,
we'd wash then sit again.

Now we knew the fun would start,
we'd sit so patiently.
First he'd eat his sandwich then,
he'd reach and tickle me.

He'd eat a pretend apple and,
he'd munch and chew, then grin.
We'd laugh until our sides would ache,
while juice ran down his chin.
 
The trombone was his favorite trick,
he'd pucker up his lips.
The music came out like it should,
with nothing in his grip.

  
His jokes were always funny,
he knew he had the knack.
Then the clock said half past twelve,
and time to send us back. 

No comments: