Saturday, May 19, 2012

I hate cigarette butts!!!  I try not to be hateful, but I really hate cigarette butts.  I was out this morning cleaning up my front yard after cutting the grass, and I swept up about a dozen cigarette butts.  Why do smokers just toss their cigarette butts where ever they are when they are done smoking?? On the sidewalk, in the sand at the beach, out the window of their car.  And if you provide ash trays, out side the back of the building for example, they still throw their cigarette butts on the ground!!!

My next door neighbor and his wife both smoke, and I think they mostly smoke outside or while sitting in their open garage.  The guy across the street who visits the resident there also smokes.  I wonder how my neighbor would feel if I started throwing my frappacinno cup in his yard when I was done?? 

I got to thinking about how much time I, as a none smoker, have spent in my life cleaning up after smokers.  My mom smoked, so there were always ash trays around the house.  When I was a teenager, I had a weekend job cleaning a pizza joint that had a pool room in the back.  Cigarettes, beer, and pool seem to go well together.  I also had a job working at a car wash and would have to vacuum smoker's cars.  I remember one guy who used to smoke cigars and there would be an inch or two of ashes on his floorboards every week.  In the army we would be lined up in a line and told to walk across the company area and "pick it up if ain't growing."  More cigarette butts.  I once helped rescue a guy from his burning house after he set his couch on fire smoking and falling asleep. 

If I had a quarter for every cigarette butt I have picked up...  Oh never mind. 

No comments: