Monday, January 5, 2015

Virginia, Minnesota, is the little town I lived in until the end of 5th grade.  It is located about 100 miles south of the Canadian border.  My family moved to Southern California in 1963 because my mom suffered from seasonal depression as a stay-at-home mom.  We settled in Chino.  I have a weather app on my iPod mini where I can monitor the weather of Virginia.  Last night it got down to -21 degrees.  As I write this post at 11:47 Pacific Time it is clear and sunny and -2 degrees in Virginia.  Here in Ontario it is clear and 70 degrees.

My kids laugh at me when I tell them I can remember walking to school when the thermometer at the bank on main street read -40.  They always add, "oh ya dad, ten miles, up hill in both directions..."  But its true.  (not the up hill part LOL).  The walk to school was only about 6 blocks and we wore several layers of clothing, including long johns, pants, ski pants, mittens, and a parka with a hood. The scarf across my face would freeze from the moisture in my breath.  Its a lot different living in that part of the country. 

No comments: