Thursday, September 4, 2008

Sarah Palin's speech - first impression


I watched the long awaited speech from Sarah Palin at the Republican National Convention tonight and I was quite astonished. Call me old fashioned, but I thought that she came off as a real bitch. I hope that the entire speech was written for her and that she is a nicer person than that. On the other hand, I can see her using her power to fire subordinates for personal reasons.

One portion that really caught my ear was as follows; "Al-Qaeda terrorists still plot to inflict catastrophic harm on America. He's (Obama) worried that someone won't read them their rights?" Now tell me that doesn't really sum up the Bush administration. Pedal the fear and ignore the law.

Pedal the fear. It seems that there are those who have to keep the American public in perpetual fear to justify spending of millions of dollars on the military and justify our attacking anyone who we see fit to promote our thirst for world domination. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for a strong military, but not for attacking a sovereign nation for their oil.

Ignore the law. Now I am one who spent 30 years enforcing the law and working within the law. It just kills me to see our country violate laws such as torture and illegal wiretapping, and violate our own treaties. That's just not the American way. Reading a person their rights is one this countries most basic rights and the Republicans just dismissed it as something laughable. I am offended by this.

The McCain campaign is trying to do all that they can to distance themselves from the last eight years of the Bush administration. But I think this one statement goes a long way in telling us that they aren't the agent for change that they want us to believe they are.

No comments: