Saturday, October 24, 2009

Went on a bike ride at a new place today, Martha McLean Anza Narrows Park. It's along the south side of the Santa Ana River in Riverside. The park has a $5 entrance fee, so I will have to park else where next time. Saturday was a beautiful day for a bike ride, with blue skies and temps in the mid 80's. I rode a total of 35 miles.

This is an historical marker in the park where some group of settlers crossed the river back in 1774. I didn't see any of them near the river today!!

This is a photo of a really cool railroad bridge that crosses the Santa Ana River and the bike path goes under. I went west first and found this bridge about 100 yds. from the park. I was able to ride about 8 miles w/b until I ran into Arlington Ave. There is a nature center out there, as well as places to park horse trailers. I could see some model planes flying in the hills south of the bike path.

I also explored the bike path east for about nine miles. I ended up crossing under the 60 frwy. and traveling another five miles north of there. In looking at the map, the bike path n/b goes all the way under the 10 frwy. under the 15 frwy., and stops at Waterman Ave.

I found this memorial along the bike path. There are a lot of dirt bike trails in the area and I would bet he died on a motorcycle rather than a bicycle on the bike path.

I was about 2 miles from being back to the park, and just peddling with my head down wanting it to be over, when I almost ran over this guy. Scared me for a second, but I went back and took a couple of photos. It doesn't appear to be a rattler because of the color and no rattle on the tail.

There was a sign along the bike path, near the nature center, that indicated that one day the bike path will run from San Bernardino to the ocean. 93 miles!! Don't know if I will ever see that. Never know.

No comments: