Wednesday, November 20, 2013

As a follow-up to an earlier post, I am happy to report that Dayna Morales, the most recent gay waitress to be stiffed of a tip from a Christian diner, has had an outpouring of support.

"People have sent me tips from all over the world just to show support. I have had people from Germany to South Africa, Australia to the UK, San Diego, everywhere." 
Morales says that between the people who have called in to the restaurant to give credit card numbers, those who have mailed tips, or donated to a special PayPal account the restaurant set up, she estimates that she has received more than $2,000 so far.
She plans to donate the funds to the Wounded Warrior Project, and the restaurant plans to match the donations and give it to a local LGBT organization.
The general manager of the restaurant, Byron Lapola, did not release the family's names, adding that "we fully respect our guests' privacy."
Lapola posted support for Morales on the restaurant's Facebook page:
"Dayna is one of our absolute best servers working here at Gallop. We as a team were deeply hurt by the events that transpired. I myself as the General Manager took it personal as my team treats each other like a family. I made sure that Dayna was compensated for the tip, as for emotionally I wish there was much more I could do. One thing I can say is that people of that woman's kind business is not welcome here at Gallop, and I can assure you that if they decide to dine here again that they will be turned away."
Way to go Mr. Lapola!!!

No comments: