Friday, December 14, 2007

Spiritual Quest


Since I retired on July 1, 2004, I have spent quite a bit of time in the local Barnes & Nobles and Borders book stores reading and sipping on mocha frapacinnos. A great deal of my reading has involved a comparative study of religions or "isms" as I like to call them. I am not done with this spiritual quest by a long shot, but I have formed some basic opinions from my readings.

I have come to the conclusion that there is only one entity or power that we all serve and love. I think most people accept that us humans and the universe we live in was created by this entity or power. This entity goes by many names with God being one of the most popular. It's interesting to note that many Native American Indian religions refer to this entity as the "Great Mystery." I like that. It says a lot to me.

So what do we know about the "Great Mystery?" The Bible in Genesis 1:27 tells us that we are made in the image of God. The King James version states, "So God created man in his own image: in the image of God He created him; male and female He created them." The words man and him in this instance means humanity in general, not just the male species. Male and female He created them. Common sense would tell us that God is both male and female, a concept we as humans may have a problem wrapping our brains around, but It is God. Perhaps God and Goddess is an easier concept to understand as the early pagan religions thought. The Bible also says we are all God's children, which I interpret as his sons and daughters. I don't see where God makes any distinction between the two, but created male and female as equals.

So how did women become subservient to men? As I like to say, we are all cut from the same sheet of cloth. Thousands of years ago the female was revered for her ability to bring forth life. It's also important to note that it doesn't say that God created one race over the other. I'm reminded of the children's song, "red and yellow black and white, we are precious in his sight..." So I am trying to live God's only commandment, love God and love one another. It's easier to love one another when you remember that we are all cut from the same sheet of cloth or all created in the likeness of the "Great Mystery".

So have a good day and try practicing love for one another.

No comments: