Wednesday, February 25, 2015

I went through a few "dark" hours on our recent trip to Vegas. Karen left me alone and went shopping. I started this poem then and finished it today.This poem doesn't reflect my current condition, so you don't have to call 9-1-1 or send firemen to my house. 





The Darkness

The darkness hovers over me,
I'm drowning in despair.
Desperately fighting to be free,
Gasping to get air.

The darkness knows I cannot win,
It's useless to resist.
Takin' prisoner once again,
I surely won't be missed.

I'm in a panic, can't you see,
I'm frantic to get out.
Fight or flight takes over me,
I'm darting all about.

I'm in a sweat, I cannot think,
The room begins to spin.
Edging closer to the brink,
My condition looking grim.

I've got to run, I want to hide,
I can't find my composure.
Darkness with me stride for stride,
Delight in my exposure.

Restroom near, an isle of hope,
So in the stall I cower.
I'll catch my breath and try to cope,
Be out within the hour.

It's done at last, I took some drugs,
The darkness finally lifted.
I’m on my feet, could use some hugs,
Or maybe be committed. 

Ken Ferguson

No comments: