Friday, May 15, 2015



My Bike Ride

I’m out for a ride on my mountain bike today,
As birds and bunnies and brown squirrels play,
Road runners and snakes often join in the fun,
Look how they scatter, see how they run.

A coyote just popped out, all scraggly and gray,
First time I’ve seen him while riding this way.
It scampered across the trail, now standing there watching,
I’ll keep on pedaling, so he won’t come munching. 

Dark clouds overhead are trying to rain,
Threatening a soaking; oh what a pain.
Several more miles left to get to my car,
Why oh why did I venture so far.

I hate goat head stickers; they make me so mad,
One punctured my tire; my luck turning bad.
Fifteen minutes lost to change my flat tire,
Here come the rain drops, my situation is dire.

I’m pedaling quite madly now, heading for cover,
The rain coming harder;  no longer a shower.
I make it to my car and I’m soaked to the skin,
Forty-eight hours I’ll be ready again.  

Ken Ferguson

No comments: