Friday, December 12, 2008


I received one of those emails today that get passed around, but I found this one quite interesting.

It seems that there are those who want to boycott the use of a $1 coin with the image of President George Washington on the front. The reason? The coin is not inscribed with the phrase "In God We Trust".

The email stated; "REFUSE NEW COINS. This simple action will make a strong statement.

So intrigued as I was by this information, I went to the web site of the U.S. Mint. I found that yes there is a series of $1 coins in circulation with various presidents images on the front. They have been in circulation since 2007 starting with president's Washington, Adams, Jefferson, and Madison in 2007.

The program is set to mint four coins each year, with the president's image in the order in which they served, through 2016. The coins have the name of the president and the years he served on the front, and the Statue of Liberty and "United States of America" on the back.

Now I recommend that if you are so insecure in your faith that you can't stand to see a coin minted without the phrase "In God We Trust" on the back, then by all means refuse to accept the coin. As for making a "strong statement"? I don't see that happening.

No comments: