Monday, April 28, 2008

I'm going backwards now to try to catch up from the weekend adventures. So Saturday Jim, Betsy, Jenny, James, Julianna and I all went to Icacos Island. It is a small island a couple of miles off the coast of Puerto Rico. We paid $20 a head for a boat ride over to the island from Captain Miko. Capt. Miko let James drive the boat and based on his less than true course, I think we went about 5 miles to complete the 3 mile journey. Capt. Miko looked a lot like the author Hemingway.







We snorkeled around a coral reef for a couple of hours. It's the first time I have snorkeled and actually seen fish. There were lots of fish of all shapes, sizes, and colors. I had a bit of trouble with my mask sealing and believe it's because of my beard. The water was warm and fairly clear. The coral was quite interesting to see and there was one type of coral called brain coral that looked just like the brain.

I learned that coral isn't a friend of the human skin. I skinned my right knee against a bit of coral and got quite an abrasion. I also learned that I am quite the klutz. I slipped on a wet rock while on a walk with James and landed on my stomach and both hands. I ended up with quite a boo-boo on my right pinkie where it was jammed between the rock and my camera. I also scraped my right knee some more and bruised my left wrist. Duh!!! I really only did it to get some of the crowd's sympathy away from Jim. He's been telling everyone who will listen how sick he is!!! (Thankfully he is felling pretty much his old self)






I also introduced James (student James) to skinny dipping. I was out in the water up to my shoulders and slipped off my swimming suit. Of course when James realized what I had done, he had to try it as well. In the first photo you can see James and me holding up our swimming suits. James thought it was quite enjoyable. The second photo shows me diving into the water. We later told James that I was shooting the moon and because of his dark skin he was an eclipse of the moon.








Except for my minor injuries, it was a quite nice day at the beach. It was a little overcast, but the water was real warm. As we drove home we could see black clouds ahead of us towards the area of the school. It started to rain slightly while on the way home, and was raining quite hard when we got home.


So, what do they do at the school when it is raining??? They wash their hair in the rain water coming off of the roof. Jim told me the rain water wasn't that cold, and actually quite refreshing. I didn't indulge as I am quite follicly challenged and didn't think I would get much of a benefit from the ritual.







A good time was had by all!!

No comments: