Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Time to fly home

So many people come and go from the school for the deaf and yet Betsy has a brief send off in morning chapel for each group. This morning was our turn. I think Jim and I have been here enough times that we've been able to develop relationships with several of the students, especially James and Johanely. Johanely calls Jim "papa" in sign and me "grandpa" in sign. Jim communicates quite well with James and I think has become a surrogate father to him.

I think I speak for Jim as well when I say that this tiny little school for the deaf on this tiny little island of Puerto Rico has become more than just a place to come and do a little work and play in the ocean. It has truly become a soft spot in our heart of hearts. I thank God for the opportunity to come here and perhaps be a small example of His love for others.


I can't begin to say enough about the staff and the work they do here. They put in long hours making this school a place for the students to get an education and learn of the wonders of God. Each day I see the love that each staff member has for these children, scolding them one minute, and cradling many of them in their arms the next. They truly have a calling for the teaching of the deaf. God Bless each of you. You are doing an incredible job. I will continue to keep each of you and ESD in my prayers.

I can't thank Betsy enough for allowing me to come here and be a wee small part of their mission work and hope to continue to come and contribute in some small way.

No comments: