Wednesday, November 25, 2009


I went for a bike ride today (Wednesday) staying close to home. Part of my ride was along the dirt road between fields south of Colony H.S. I was stopped by the driver of a pickup truck coming toward me who told me there was a golden eagle further down the road in the field to my right eating something.

So I headed on down the road and found the eagle about 30 yards off the road. It was huge. It was the size of a turkey. It was eating something it had no doubt caught wondering around the field. I could see that it was holding something in it's claws and taking bites from it. It was dark colored with white markings and a golden head. Awesome!!! It didn't seam at all concerned with my nearby.

I stood and watched it for about five minutes waiting for it to fly off. It was worth the wait because it took about two hops and it was airborne. It soared into the air and looked even bigger with it's wings spread.

It circled the area about three times and then more eagles started to arrive. In moments there were ten of them circling the area. I got the feeling they were circling me, perhaps thinking I was their next meal. I left quickly.

What an assume experience. Not so for the rabbit or whatever had been the eagle's lunch I suppose. I was amazed how big it was sitting there. It was every bit as big as a turkey. Nature is awesome sometimes. The beauty of riding a mountain bike off the pavement!!!

My camera won't download onto my computer any longer, so I had to find these photos from the Internet. I hope Santa brings me a new digital camera for Xmas. I hope, I hope, I hope!!!

No comments: