Monday, November 30, 2009


On the eve of what many people are saying will be a speech by President Obama announcing the increase of troops in Afghanistan by 30,000, I thought I would print this poem I found on freepress.org.

I, Republican
by Christopher Bifani
November 28, 2009

I voted for Obama,
I voted against McCain.
Yet somehow I voted Republican,
So will someone please explain;

How "Yes We Can..." Went on to Be,
"...Wage the war indefinitely."
How all us peaceniks working phones,
Led to the use of more predator drones.

How all our grassroots small donations,
Led to gifts for corporations.
How all the debt that had us troubled,
Suddenly jumped to more than double.

What just happened? I forget,
But I know I don't have health care yet.
I know the military's usual plan,
A troop surge in Afghanistan.

And here's another scary fact,
He wants to extend the Patriot Act?!?

Yes now it all seems very strange,
All that talk of hope and change.
Who elected George Bush III?
But those of us now getting the bird!!

Ok, so I changed it a little bit to make it rhyme a little bit better. I hope Chris won't mind. I'm trying to remain positive and hopeful that President Obama will deliver the change he campaigned on. But...

No comments: