Saturday, January 19, 2008

Retirement Congrats!!!

This is Fran Wells, aka Fran Benson. Fran's first official day of retirement was yesterday. (Friday) Jim and I are helping her acclimate herself gracefully into the wonderful world of retirement. Fran spent 30 years teaching, which in itself should qualify her for a purple heart. She taught 15 years of high school at Wayland H.S. and another 15 years teaching business administration at Corning Community College. Both schools are in Steuben County in New York State. Fran was raised on a farm with her parents Arlene and Norm Benson, who are also here at the school. She also found time to raise a son and a daughter, and I believe if I'm not mistaken is a proud Grandma.

Fran is here at the school for three months doing a wonderful job cooking for the students, and a delicious breakfast each morning for Jim and me. She is also tackling the awesome project of organizing the office here at the school. I've also seen her keeping a close eye on her parents who are both in their 80's. If you know Fran, you know that a rocking chair is not in her immediate future. Her future plans include doing some part-time teaching and writing a book on the Benson family history. I suggested she start a blog and she seemed open to that as well.

I had to go and specifically take this photo of her this morning because in looking over the photos I've taken since I've been here, she wasn't in one of them. That pretty much sums up how she operates around here. She's usually working hard in the background (much like me !!) making sure all the I's are dotted and the T's crossed. She has a wonderfully giving spirit and a great big heart. I'm sure there isn't anything she can't accomplish in this new and exciting stage of her life. Congratulations Fran and welcome to retirement!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Congrats Fran!!!
You look way too happy and way too relaxed!!! We miss you.