Friday, May 23, 2008

I'm home!!!

I happy to report that I made it home this morning in one piece. The trip consisted of a total of 7,190 miles in or thru 19 states and two countries. My drive Thursday from Wheatland, Wy. to Las Vegas, Nv. was both beautiful and eventful. At the first mountain summit, I found it had already snowed and I just missed it.



I stopped at a Starbucks in Vail, Colorado, and it started to snow/rain. The temperature outside was a brisk 34 degrees!!


After I got my frosty drink from Starbucks, I drove to the next summit only to find snow falling again. This time I got to drive in it. My experience in driving in the snow is limited so this was quite exciting.



After the snow, it seemed that every turn or over every hill it became more beautiful. I couldn't take photos fast enough and stay on the road. The only other time I drove through this area was at night, so my head was constantly on a swivel.

This photo was from a rest stop. My photos just don't do the area justice. I will have to go through this area again when I'm not so focused on getting home.




So, I pulled into Whiskey Pete's at state line at about 10:30 PM. I went inside and threw a few nickles around and then slept in my cruiser for about 4 hours. I was up by 5:00 AM and after a quick breakfast, drove the last 200 miles home. It was a dry home until I reached the top of the Cajon Pass. It was covered with a thick blanket of fog and then pouring rain.

I understand there was a tornado here yesterday that hit the ground and toppled a tractor trailer and tipped over a train. Weird weather!!

1 comment:

Mary O' said...

Glad to hear you made it home safely. It sounds like quite a trip. I am anxious to hear more

Jim started his adventure Tuesday

Mary O'