Friday, May 16, 2008

Thomas Wolfe wrote a book entitled "You Can Never Go Home Again." The title of that book certainly applies to me. In fact the house I lived in here in Virginia, Minnesota, has been torn down. Directing you attention to the photo below, that space between the two buildings shown is where our house used to stand. The building to the right was a funeral home when I lived here. Of course that was 40+ years ago. Now its an insurance company.

So, as you can tell, I have made it to Virginia, Mn. When I checked into my hotel, my room hadn't been cleaned yet so I found the local Toyota dealership and got my cruiser serviced. The service manager went out of his way to get me in and out in about an hour and even called the dealership in Ontario to verify my service contract.



When I returned to the motel I was greeted by quite a rain storm that lasted about an hour. It wasn't raining all that hard but the wind was howling and blowing the rain sideways. The photo above is from my hotel room window. Within an hour of the end of the storm it was clear as a bell. I went out walking around a bit and took the photo of where my house once stood. I plan on tooling around the city tomorrow on my bike and I will take more photos.

The motel I'm staying at has expanded and now sits on the site where the Salvation Army building stood when I lived here. Ironically then, when I go to bed tonight, I will have slept on this same piece of property twice, 40+ years apart. I was good friends with the son of the Salvation Army captain who lived in the building and I recall spending the night several times at my friend's house.

No comments: