Wednesday, May 21, 2008

I'm writing to you tonight from Wheatland, Wy., which is about 100 miles north of Denver, Co. I saw this storm forming ahead of me about an hour before I got to the hotel. I changed freeways and headed south towards Denver, running parallel with the storm. When I checked into my motel, the storm looked like this.


For the next two hours there was a great thunder and lightning show. Once the rain started, the thunder and lightning were constant. I have never heard thunder roll across the clouds constantly like I did today. I poured for about 30 minutes and then stopped. I can't believe I caught lightning in the photo below.

The rain started a second time and this time it included hail, strong winds, and more lightning. Within 10 minutes the parking lot was flooded. I don't know if it's over for the night or not. It was pretty cool to watch.

The drive today from Bismark to here was very nice. I took two laned roads most of the way and ended up in Deadwood, SD, which appeared to be quite a tourist stop. I didn't. I was within 15 miles of Sturgis, SD, but didn't feel like going out of my way to see a little town full of bars. I also had a nice drive through the Black Hills National Forest. There's some real open spaces out here in this area. That's about it for tonight.

No comments: