Wednesday, May 14, 2008

I'm in Minnesota!!!

There are Jewish folks who dream their whole life of going to Jerusalem and praying at the wall. I have reached a similar goal for my life in getting to Minnesota. (Silly I know) I arrived in Minneapolis this afternoon and tomorrow I will be attending a Minnesota Twins baseball game in the Metrodome. Friday I am driving up to Virginia Minnesota, the small town I lived in from about kindergarten to fifth grade for the weekend. I am staying at the Coates Plaza Hotel which is about two blocks from the house I lived in while there. The Coates was a hotel back when I lived there.


The trip here started out in the rain. It actually started raining the previous evening at about 9:00 PM with a little lightning and thunder. I hit the road this morning at about 6:00 AM in the rain. Gas: Cheboygan $3.99 a gal.

The highlight of the day was a trip across the Mackinaw bridge. It connects the upper peninsula of Michigan with the lower bulk of the state. It is about 5 miles. It was raining when I crossed it, but I was able to see a tanker positioning itself to go under the bridge.



After crossing over the bridge, I circled around the top of Michigan and down into Wisconsin. With changing states I also moved back into central standard time. The trip took a long time because it was raining early and most of the roads I was on all day were two lane state highways. It was mile after mile of farm land. It seems that almost every fourth or fifth farm was selling a vehicle or travel trailer. It may have been a sign of the depressed economy. Gas: Oconto, Wi. $3.75 a gal.


Yesterday I took a drive around the northern Michigan area while enroute to a bicycle shop to get my front flat tire fixed. Below is a photo of a pretty cool house I found that over looked Lake Michigan.



I got in a couple of hour bike ride and saw this Coast Guard ship docked at the mouth of the Cheboygan river. The smaller boat in the foreground is a sheriff's patrol boat that was just launched. I asked one of the deputies what he does for his leisure time if he gets to ride around in that boat and get paid for it. He just laughed and walked away. And of course I had to take a photo of the first $4.00 a gal sign I've seen since we were raped in Needles, Ca.






And finally, wasn't there an old rock song about Alice's Restaurant?? Jack will remember it.




No comments: