Tuesday, May 20, 2008

I'm writing this evening (Tuesday) from Bismark, North Dakota. How come I'm not in Canada you may wonder? I actually did drive up to Thunder Bay, Ontario, but found that Thunder Bay is a city of 110,000 people, not a quaint seaside little spot. I also found that the price of gas in Canada is $1.33 a litter. Doing the math, if there are 3.78 litters to a gallon, that makes gas over $5.00 a gallon. I should have been tipped off when I saw a woman with a large gas can in her trunk heading back over the border to Canada. I couldn't see driving 2,000 miles across Canada at $5 a gallon for gas.

Once I got to the border, getting across was rather simple. The border guard was a young guy who did some stuff on the computer and asked me the usual questions. After about 3-4 minutes he allowed me past and even gave me directions to their Hwy 17. Coming back was just as easy, however, the guard was a little curious about the shortness of my visit.



So I drove back to Duluth, Mn. and spent the night there. The Red Roof Motel I stayed in was kinda on the outskirts of town. I looked out my window twice and saw deer grazing on the dandelions. I have several photos from my day in Duluth that I will share with you in another post.

Today, Tuesday, my plan was to drive from Duluth, Mn. to Fargo, North Dakota. The route I chose continued to make Gretchen mad because it was along two lane roads that met up with more two lane roads. Along the way I stopped at a McDonald's and took this photo of the double drive-up that I've only seen in Minnesota. After they give their order they are directed into one line to pay and pick up their food. I asked an employee about it and he told me they get the cars in and out quicker this way.

I took the next photo at about 9:45 PM tonight. As you can see it is still dusk here because I'm so far north.

If I'm reading my calender correctly, I've only been home three nights since I left for Puerto Rico on April 22nd. On this particular trip I have slept in a hotel the last 18 nights in a row. I have driven over 5400 miles now on this trip. Gretchen tells me it is just under 1700 miles from here home. I also realized today that this weekend is Memorial Day weekend. I don't know if I want to be out on the road looking for motel rooms on Memorial Day weekend.

With all that said, I've decided to turn south tomorrow and head for home. I should be home some time Friday. My route will take me through Cheyenne, Wy., Salt Lake City, Ut., and Las Vegas, Nv. I have a bunch of photos yet to share, so keep checking in.

1 comment:

Jim said...

Hi Ferg,

You should have looked me up. Your Salt Lake to LV leg took you 25 mi from my place on the same day Joe and Jim were here. Would have been 4 of us ex-WC types at once.

Jim L