Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Travel log - catch up

Sunday I dropped Karen and Corey off at the Nashville, Tn. airport and headed north. I only made it about 150 miles, stopping in Elizabethtown, Ky. It began to rain hard once I crossed the border into Kentucky and rained all evening. I found a great Louisville oldies radio station called WAKY 103.5 FM The freeway turned into the Abraham Lincoln Memorial Expressway. I did go out of my way a bit to see the boyhood home of Abraham Lincoln. As you can see there wasn't much to it. It was raining so I didn't get out to get a closer look.


I stayed the night in the world famous Kentucky Cardinal Inn in Elizabethtown, Ky. Being that I'm such a party animal, I ordered pizza delivered to my room and spent the evening watching the Minnesota Twins beat the Boston Red Sox. In the morning I got in a 2 1/2 hour bike ride around town and on a path along a smell creek that led to a lake called Lake Freeman. While riding through town I found an old cemetery that had North and South soldiers from the civil war buried in it. A sign at the front also described a civil war battle in Elizabethtown where cannon were fired from the hills of the cemetery into the town. It was about 48 degrees and still a bit windy. Gas: $3.68 a gal in Elizabethtown, Ky.


I hit the road for points north about 10:30 AM. I drove into Louisville, Ky, pronounced "Lewville" according to Megan, and saw the University of Louisville. It had a couple of cool looking building that I could see from the freeway. Within about 5 miles after the photo of the university I ran into bumper to bumper traffic because of a traffic collision a couple of miles ahead. I sat in the traffic 1 hr 15 min. I spent the time reading from my book and eating Gobstoppers.



The countryside of Kentucky is pretty. I crossed the Ohio River and into Indiana and it got much flatter and had many more farms and freshly plowed fields. I stopped in LaFayette, In., home of the Purdue Boilermakers, for a late lunch and tried a Steak and Shake restaurant. The burgers were OK. I'll need to get at least a double next time as the patties were pretty thin. Their chili was very good. Gas: $3.77 gal in LaFayette.

My plan was to stop in Benton Harbor, Michigan for the night, but when I got there there wasn't much to see. I decided to head on to Cheboygan, Mi instead. I got to my hotel at about midnight and luckily there were plenty of rooms. I unloaded my stuff and found that my bike had a flat front tire. The room was nice and clean and I got a good nights sleep. More later. Having a great time.

1 comment:

Megan M. Dickerson said...

You made it to and thru KY! Hope you enjoyed it.